The Plant Protein Innovation Center is an interdisciplinary research center dedicated to studying plant and alternative proteins.
The PPIC is proud to have 40 members at both the Partner and Associate level, which span the supply chain. Out of these 40 members, 12 were founding members who joined the Center within just over a year of its inauguration.
We are striving to be first. The plant protein innovation center (PPIC) is the first center of its kind in the nation for plant and other alternative proteins. The PPIC brings together interdisciplinary researchers and industry partners to produce and study nutritious and functional plant protein ingredients and products, working all the way from breeding and genetics to processing, formulation, and marketing.
The PPIC addresses industry-identified plant-protein challenges and opportunities to develop a wealth of interdisciplinary research.
- Create active platform to study and promote plant proteins
- Gain the involvement of key industry players
- Establish a cohort of interdisciplinary researchers
- Develop research programs that address industry-identified challenges and opportunities
- Develop and disseminate a wealth of interdisciplinary knowledge and technologies to advance plant proteins
- Create momentum and acquire funding from diverse sources to accelerate outputs
- Foster partnerships, scientific exchange, and interdisciplinary interactions
- Train the next generation of researchers, who will become scientists for future hires
- Address the consumer desire for nutritious and healthy food
- Have a positive impact on the environment
- Provide additional protein sources for the growing population
- Provide revenue to farmers
- Become a nationally and internationally recognized protein center of excellence